This is your chance to learn about the fascinating history by exploring the eastern side of Tongatapu. On this guided tour, you will have a chance to see the royal palace, ancient tombs, plus the amazing Ha’amonga Trilithon. Along the way, you will pass by local schools, churches, governmental buildings, sacred burial grounds, villages and crop plantations.
- The Royal Palace: home of his late Majesty King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV, a photo stop will be made outside the palace gate.
- Royal Tombs: where the founder of modern Tonga is at rest, King George Tupou 1 and the rest of the late members of the Tonga Royal Family. The last, to be laid to rest here was his beloved Majesty King Tupou IV who passed away last in 2006.
- Captain Cook's Landing Place: the site where Captain James Cook, the great English Explorer landed on 30 of April 1777.
- Ancient Burial Tombs: the burial tomb of ancient Tongan King. Its construction is an engineering wonder and dates back to 1300BC.
- Ha'amonga Trilithon: the mysterious Trilithon is a giant stone arch which stands 5 metres high and weigh about 80 tones. This Trilithon was believed to have been built around 1200AD. This historical monument has many wonders that your guide will briefly explained.
The tour of the day will be brief all participants on the detailed itinerary for the day. The sights are:
- Royal Palace
- Royal Tombs
- Captain Cook's Landing Place
- Ancient Burial Tombs
- Ha'amonga Trilithon
The fascinating history of the eastern side are great photo opportunities so, please bring your camera if you wish to take memorable photos with you. Also, to be sure you don't tread on sacred ground, please seek the assistance of your tour guide at the Ancient Burial Tombs.
Children are most welcome.
Pick-up available from Nuku'alofa or your accommodation.
Cancellations must be made at least 24 hours in advance to avoid cancellation fees.